Great Opportunity to Join Our Team as an Equipment Operator at the City of Columbia!
Position Title: Equipment Operator - 955/WWTP
Job Code: 02303
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Union Code/Affiliation: Local 955
Job Description Summary:
Are you skilled in operating medium and heavy motorized equipment and commercial vehicles? Do you thrive in a dynamic environment where your work directly impacts the community? If so, this position is perfect for you! As an Equipment Operator, you will play a vital role in our Utilities Department, ensuring the safe and efficient operation of equipment crucial to our city's infrastructure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilize your expertise and equipment knowledge to complete tasks safely and efficiently.
- Operate a diverse range of motorized equipment, including heavy construction machinery and hand/power tools.
- Install, operate, repair, and maintain tools and equipment as needed.
- Load and haul materials and supplies, while maintaining inventory and stocking vehicles.
- Perform skilled labor tasks following established procedures to uphold safety standards.
- Document work performed and provide exceptional customer service.
- Collaborate with other departments as required.
While you won't have direct supervisory authority, you'll play a key role in providing guidance and training to others.
Human Collaboration and Job Impact:
Your interactions and contributions will have a significant impact on our organization, ensuring the smooth operation of essential services for the community.
No fiscal responsibility attached to this position.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 1 to 3 years of experience in construction or heavy equipment operation.
- Required licenses and certifications: Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Division specific CDL endorsements, Department of Transportation (DOT) medical certification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with standard practices, materials, tools, and equipment used in the industry.
- Proficiency in operating motorized equipment and effective communication.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team, maintain accurate records, and provide exceptional customer service.
Get ready for a dynamic work environment, frequently outdoors and sometimes in confined or hazardous spaces. You'll be exposed to various weather conditions, but your dedication will ensure the job gets done safely and efficiently.
Enjoy a steady Monday through Friday schedule from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, with standby duty required multiple times a year.
Commensurate with training and experience, ranging from $22.47/hr to $27.63/hr.
Deadline to Apply:
February 19, 2024 - Act fast to secure your spot on our team!
Special Instructions to Applicants:
If you require accommodation during the application process, please reach out to us. The City of Columbia is an equal opportunity employer, and pre-employment drug testing is mandatory.
Ready to join a team dedicated to serving the community? Apply now and Come Work for the City that Works for you! Come join the City of Columbia!